About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wild Card, 2006. Winner of "best oral sex scene" - Scarlet Magazine. Amanda's Young Men, 2009. Excerpted in Scarlet Magazine; Juicy Bits. Sarah's Education, 2009. Hit the #1 spots on Amazon.co.uk adult fiction & adult romance best seller lists. Jade Magazine bestowed the best cover art, 2009 award on Sarah's Education. "Get Up, Stand Up!" which appeared in The Cougar Book (Logical-Lust) won me the title 'Story Teller of the Year 2011' at The Erotic Awards, London, UK. Sarah's Education took the #3 spot on a list of the 30 most titillating titles of all time, as reported in English Daily Mail ;Female; Nov. 12, 2012. Debutante, a petite novel for e-publisher Imprint Mischief, (Harper-Collins) pubbed in 2012. I tutor writing students and am a member of the WGC. D.M. Thomas said: Madeline Moore writes great sex without metaphor and that's not easy to do. Kris Saknussemm said: You're a good egg, Madeline Moore. I am a good egg who writes great sex without metaphor! Yippee!

Thursday 3 March 2011

Farting Around

I'm in luck! Due to the Academy Awards on Sunday night, I was forced to miss the Season Finale of "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena." So I get to watch it right now. And that's what I'm going to do.


I know, as a wannabe pop art pundit, that I must try to stay in the loop.
But isn't it fun, sometimes, to discover something late?

If you're a Spartacus fan, you've probably already seen the finale of Spartacus: God's of the Arena. The next hour of pleasure I'll experience is lost to you. Been there. Done that.

My Arts degree was an English major. I was introduced to Kurt Vonnegut in English lit 101.


The assigned novel was Cat's Cradle but baby I didn't stop there.
I read one after another, day after day, until I found myself in a Kurt Vonnegut state of mind. I loved it but I had to let it go. It didn't belong to me. But I sure did enjoy those KV days.

You will, I think, find this next confession even more hard to believe but I did not read J.D. Salinger until well after I graduated from university.
Then I read The Catcher in the Rye. Can you imagine my joy? It didn't take long to read everything he'd written.

I mourned, as many others have, his decision to cease publishing. But I respected it. And it freed me from the feeling that I had to write. I didn't have to. The world wouldn't care. I'd write because I wanted to!
And that make it all much more fun, from then until right now.















Right now I'm off to the Arena.




Is there someone, an author, a painter, an artist you discovered 'late'?
Tell me all about it!

xoxo Madeline

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that author-addiction! I remember it well. My first was Leslie Charteris, followed by Thorne Smith. When I discovered Poe, I devoured his work to the extent that my English prof advised me to stop reading Edgar - my "How I spent my Summer Holidays" had Poe's cadences and dripped menace. I was introduced to LOTR in 1955 and completed reading the trilogy four days later.

Older, not wiser, but less addiction prone, now, I look back on those obsessions with painful nostalgia. Would that we could turn our clocks back!

Felix

Jeremy Edwards said...

E. F. Benson (as in the Lucia books). I'd begun one way back when, on my wife's recommendation, but for some reason it didn't grab me. I tried again about a decade later, and it clicked divinely.